Thursday, June 17, 2010

When You Reach Me

by Rebecca Stead
197 pages
reading level: 4-6 grade ish
2010 Newbery Award winner

I first noticed this book in the bookstore last year, but I didn't think it looked remotely interesting, so I ignored it. Then while I was supposed to be studying in the library a couple of weeks ago I just happened to walk past the Newbery display and was surprised to see this there. I picked it up just to read the back, but the back had nothing but reviews. So in a very non-committal way I cracked open the cover just to read the front page. It hooked me! I sat down on the ground and read for two hours. It is amazing. It is 92% contemporary realistic fiction, and 8% (the main part of the plot) blow-your-mind-away, mysterious, almost weird, modern fantasy/science fiction.  That is all I can say at present, as this book is too good to divulge any aspect the plot. You just have to read it for yourself.

1 comment: