Sunday, February 7, 2010

Some of my Re-Reads

Frankly, I re-read almost everything. If I can get through it the first time, I usually want to revisit a second, third, fourth, and on and on. I could post about so many, but I'll just start with one author.

One of my favorite fantasy authors is Robin McKinley. I recommended her to my mom and she doesn't like her writing at all. It's pretty wordy and has some strange sentence structure, but I love it. I was wandering through the library recently wishing that I owned almost all of her books and that she had written more of them.

In order of recommendation, or perhaps the order I was introduced ...

Beauty.
  • Reading level: Ages 9-12
  • Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
It doesn't seem like it could possibly be over 300 pages. It must have really large margins. This is a fun retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Spindle's End.
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 384 pages
A version of Sleeping Beauty. It gets a little strange near the end. Most of her books do, but I love all the rest of it.

The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Mass Market Paperback: 227 pages
  • Newberry Medal
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Mass Market Paperback: 248 pages
  • Newberry Honor
These two are about the same land, but are set generations apart. I love The Blue Sword more. In fact I don't think I'd use the word love in relation to The Hero and the Crown, but it's fairly interesting and a fun read.

The Outlaws of Sherwood
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 368 pages
I haven't read this one very much, but it seems like I liked it pretty well.

Chalice
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 272 pages
I liked this one a lot, but I think it is pretty weird and I wish it was longer.

Rose Daughter
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 304 pages
I don't think I liked this one until I'd read it a couple of times so I don't know that I can recommend it strongly. It is another telling of Beauty and the Beast and Beauty is much better!

She also has a couple collections of short stories that are fun but not marvelous. DON'T read Deerskin- seems like it is a bit offensive. I didn't care for Dragonhaven- it wasn't bad- just didn't really like it. Her adult book Sunshine is an intriguing vampire tale, but has two pages that I wish I'd never read as they were too graphic for me.

5 comments:

  1. I tried reading Spindle's End several years ago, but I found the language a little overwhelming. I think I would enjoy it a lot better now.

    There are a few titles that I did not recognize, is she still actively writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her writing definitely isn't for everyone. I think The Blue Sword and Beauty are easier to read than Spindle's End. She still writes. She's supposed to have a new book coming out this fall.
    I have Beauty, Spindle's End, The Blue Sword, and The Hero and the Crown if you ever have time to give her a try again you could borrow them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the Outlaws of Sherwood. Can you read the Blue Sword without reading The Hero and the Crown first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I remember right, the Blue Sword is a prequel to Hero and the Crown. The books are rather independent but share history and culture etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can read the two independently and the Blue sword is the second one chronologically.

    ReplyDelete