Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Reading level: 6th grade
Hardcover 383 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, 2003

This book is amazing! So well written, the characters just come to life as you read. It's based on an old Grimms fairytale, but I had never even heard of it till I read this book.

Ok, the real reason I'm writing about this book - funny story. I'm doing student teaching in 6th grade right now and my mentor teacher wanted to get the kids more excited about AR (reading program), so we both did a couple of book talks (basically introducing a book in an appealing way) in front of the class. I told them about this book and read a short passage, but I was worried none of the boys would want to read it. I thought about adding a blurb about it not being just a girl book, but decided not to, just to see what would happen. Turns out my boys were clambering for this book! I didn't have a single girl ask me for it, but several boys were searching the book shelf saying, "who took Goose Girl?" It made me sooooo happy.

6 comments:

  1. I just re-read this book last week and is one that I really enjoy. I also like the other books by Shannon Hale. Her books are refreshing and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite books, and I think maybe the best of Shanon Hale's books. I passed it on to my husband when he was looking for something light to read and he loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is Shannon Hale's best book as well. I had a really hard time with Enna Burning- it just creeped me out and I took it back to the library three times before I could get past the scary beginning. I'm still looking forward to reading Forest Born. Has anyone read it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a new one from her? I also really enjoyed The Book of a Thousand Days from Shannon Hale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am posting again to say that I have started reading Goose Girl and am currently loving it,and I have also read Forest Born and I love it and will be posting on it.

    ReplyDelete