Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Friends

At Anna's request, here are a few books I call friends...

1. The Chronicles of Narnia - classic. By C.S. Lewis

Reading level: ages 7-adult
Paperback, 767 pages (for the entire series)
September 20th 2001 by HarperCollins (first published 1954)

I honestly can't count how many times I have read these books. Each of the seven books is inspirational, symbolic, and fun. If you've only read the first book or two keep reading! The last book is my absolute favorite, but you need to read the rest of them first to fully appreciate it.

2. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Reading level: ages 9-12
Paperback, 240 pages
January 1st 1997 by Scholastic Books

This is the book I like to read when brain needs a rest. It's fun, cute, and creative. A familiar book that I can always come back to.


3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Reading level: High school-adult
Paperback, 576 pages
February 4th 2003 by Penguin Classics (first published 1847)

Ok, let's be honest, Jane Eyre is way to heavy to read over and over, but it is one of my favorites. When I'm looking for something deep and moving, with an intense storyline, and a wonderfully brave, though imperfect, heroine this is it.


4. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Reading level: Young adult-adult (but a great read-aloud for younger ages)
Paperback, 104 pages
October 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1981)

This is a wonderful seasonal book to help you get into the Christmas spirit! My mom read it to me at Christmas time when I was a little girl, and read it again this last Christmas. It's classic Dickens and classic Christmas - the perfect combination.


5. Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

Reading level: ages 9-14
Paperback, 336 pages
April 17th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (first published 2005)

This one surprised me. I love Shannon Hale, but when I first read this one it wasn't my favorite. The book's sweet, heart-warming tone, however, drew me back and I fell in love. The author's rich language pulls you into the fictional mountain village in a way that reminds you of home, and keeps you cheering for the simple people who live there.

Last, but certainly not least...

6. Calvin and Hobbes: There's Treasure Everywhere by Bill Watterson

Reading level: ages 9-adult
Paperback, 176 pages
March 1st 1996 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Bill Watterson is my hero. He's wonderfully clever and his straightforward portrayal of childhood is simply delightful. No one can tell me genuinely good writing cannot be found in a comic strip. Here it is. This was my very first Calvin and Hobbes collection and I no longer have to look at the captions...I can quote each comic with a glance at the first picture. With a combination of our collections my husband and I now have 7 books, and we're still collecting. Happy laughing!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list. I've been mulling over what to include on mine and a few of yours are high contenders. I must say you have good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been hanging with some of the same friends! I read some biographies on Charlotte Bronte last year and was amazed! Kind of made me see Jane Eyre (which I have always been drawn to anyway) in a new light. I seriously want to meet Charlotte Bronte someday...
    Thanks for reminding us of these great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I love Calvin and Hobbes too!
    it is so funny!
    I also loved Princess Academy!

    ReplyDelete