Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong


The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance
Reading Level: Age 10+
Paperback: 134 pages
Publisher: Crown Publishers (Sept 2000)

It is 1916 and there have already been two exhibitions made to Antarctica, but Shackleton's mission is to cross they entire icy continent. He assembles a crew of sailors, scientists, and even a photographer and set out on an adventure, but they never make it to the continent. Disaster strikes and Captain 'Boss' must get his men united, or they might not survive. Against all odds, Shackleton and his crew survive on icepacks within 100 miles of Antarctica for over a year. This book is a vivid recount of the events of disaster and how a great leader kept his men together and alive.

3 comments:

  1. I read a book about Shackleton's adventure/foiled mission in one of my college classes. A pretty amazing story. I imagine this version is geared toward a younger audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but it isn't dumbed down. She provides enough description to bring the reader to the level of understanding. This is amazing because it contains the photographs making the experience very vivid. It was like being part of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! The description is absolutely incredible. I never thought that I could be so interested in ice. I recommended it to my 17 year old brother who reads nothing but John Grisham and he loved it. A good book for every kind of reader.

    ReplyDelete