Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien


Reading Level: Ages 10-12
Paperback: 234 pgs
Publisher: New York, Collier Books

Winner of the Edgar Allan Poe award, I should have known this book would have tension. From the very beginning, the story was gripping, but I did not enjoy reading this book and about half way through I was very angry. The author's writing is very effective and compelling to the very last page and now that I have finished the book, I think it was a great read, but the process of reading was very aggravating.

This is a story of a girl, Ann Burden, who, as far as she knows, is the last person alive. Nuclear gas has wiped out all life except the protected,quiet valley where she and her family lived apart from society. The radios, telephones and any connection with the outside world are dead and the latest news about the war was bleak. Ann's parents set out to to look for survivors but never make it back. Ann also discovers that her brother who was suppose to stay with her and stowed away in family car, leaving her completely alone. She is able to survive by herself, but then her world changes when a stranger in radiation-proof equipment arrives in the valley.

4 comments:

  1. The author sounds familiar? What else have I read by him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Silver Crown"? I think his "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH" won a Newberry or an honor medal. Do either of those ring a bell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wait, I don't get it. Was it good or not good? Do you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read this book for class, so I don't know if I would have made it all the way through otherwise. It was a good book, but because it didn't align with my taste, it was hard for me to read. I don't like suspenseful life or death situations and you really don't know what is going to happen until the very last page. I would not recommend this at the top of my list, but as a whole it was alright.

    ReplyDelete